Sunday, January 8, 2012

Anyone have any idea what kind of plant I have?

I bought a plant a few months ago from a farmer's market and it didn't have anything on it saying what it was. The guy told me, but for the life of me I can't remember. Don't have a camera either, or I'd just upload a pic for you guys. But, for a longshot, I'll describe it and see if you guys can guess. It's a potted plant. It's supposed to be in partial to full shade. It's about 1-1 1/2 ft. tall right now. It has large leaves that are sort of heart shaped. The top sides of the leaves are a light green/gray color with wide dark green green coloring along the "veins". The underside of the leaves is a red color. The appearance of the plant is almost tropical. The stems and leaves are very soft. The guy I bought it from told me it would flower, these very small whitish/pinkish flowers, but I have yet to see any of those. I got the plant in the beginning of summer. So, any ideas? Or if you even know of a site where I can go look and compare pictures of house plants or potted type plants, that'd be great too. Thanks in advance!|||I would say it was a type of begonia, but as to which type, good luck. http://www.bradsbegoniaworld.com/ has info about them, but no decent pics.


I wouldn't say it was a caladium bc they are not normally grown as a houseplant, but maybe it is. It would certainly fit the large heartshaped leaves description.


Check out this site http://www.dibleys.com/gesbeg.htm and see if anything matches. I would check this site for "Kohlera" and see if that looks right.|||What you have described is a Caladium. I will find out the scientific name and post another answer. I found the specie name, bicolor, but the picture provided has more red on the leaf than you have described. Maybe there are other species or varieties that were not shown. Check out Botany.com, great photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment