Sunday, January 8, 2012

What would you think of my protagonist if...?

They were transgendered?





I'm not going to kick them out of the story, but I'm wondering whether or not it would hurt my story's appeal for them to be the MC.





If it helps, it's a fantasy/action novel about the bermuda triangle, demons, con artists, and warfare. I'm being vague to protect my idea, of course. His (well, physically her) name is Alex Pruitt, is an older teenager, reddish brown hair and gray eyes.





It wouldn't phase me personally, but I don't want to put too big a dent in my potential market. Make no mistake, Alex is *not* being removed. I'm just wondering whether or not I should make him the protagonist, as he was originally going to be.





Second Question: If Alex isn't the MC, who of these do you think should be?


James Harland- Alex's half-brother (same couldn't-keep-it-in-his-pants dad) who is a magical con artist. he hasn't seen Alex in more than seven years, and doesn't immediately recognize his half-sibling. He is petty, jealous, and a bit of a flake when it comes to his friends and family. However, he is smart and brave, and many others admire him.





Rachel Keene- One of the souls that James lost gambling (I can't elaborate on that). She is trapped as a shade of a person, and is forced to remain in the courts of death (can't elaborate on that either) as a mistress *cough cough female entertainer* for other lost souls. She was once very bright and lively, but over time she's been worn down and weakened. In the process of saving her, Alex becomes one of her best friends, although Rachel wants more than that, and is put off by the fact that Alex is so guarded (though clearly he has a reason).





Michael Keene- Rachels' 8-year-old brother who has been left alone after his sister's departure. He is forced to join death's militia along with Alex and James, and is often bullied or victimized (and Alex is usually the one to stop the others from hurting him). He is very naive and trusting, although he genuinely wants to be strong and brave.





Thanks in advance (;|||I gotta say I wouldnt mind. I think it would be fine for Alex to be MC, although when I answered this question earlier (the 1st time you posted it) I agree with that answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment