Sunday, January 8, 2012

I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on where the best places to live in British Colombia are?

From what I can tell from all the other answered questions on here it really depends on who you are, what you do and if you like a particular climate. I thought if I put a bit of info about myself on here that someone might be able to advise me. I know its a long shot but really all I want is some direction as to where to begin my research.





Ok, so... I鈥檓 27. I currently studying to be a counsellor (psychotherapist) so my first question would be are UK qualifications recognised in Canada or should I be expecting to do some sort of top up or equivalent qualification. I do intend to keep studying throughout my life as I love it but I would need to be able to use what I have at the moment to establish myself in a job. Second question would be is there much call for counsellors in Canada? In the UK they have always been fairly in demand, not so much as in the US but there鈥檚 work out there.


My preferences are as follows.


I need water... be it beach or a lake. I could not live anywhere that was landlocked.


I love winters to be cold and summers to warm... I hate baking hot weather but I do like a few nice weeks a year where the weather is nice enough to camp, go exploring or just to sit out in the garden. In the UK whenever the weather does anything more or less than grey skies/rain the whole transport system falls apart. We have had whole days of intercity rail disrupted because there have been leaves on the tracks not to mention the crisis the recent snow caused! I鈥檇 quite like to be know I can make it into work when it snows, so somewhere with a good transport system.


I love walking, horse riding so somewhere with a variety of terrain/environments would be ideal. I love hill walking... not mountain climbing... I am not fit enough. I鈥檇 keel over if some presented me with a mountain. I鈥檇 also love to learn how to snowboard (although in reality it might me less exciting than I imagine... I might also be more physically inept that I imagine too so it鈥檚 not of huge importance).


I do love to go out to bars and clubs until 6 a.m occasionally but I really do not want to be surrounded by it all the time. My normal haunts are somewhere you can settle in for the night with good music, friendly locals and maybe a pool table. So I鈥檓 thinking not a major city but somewhere with enough going on to keep me occupied.


I love live music and festivals so I鈥檇 need to be within distance of either an airport or somewhere that has a good music venue. At the moment I live in between Manchester and Liverpool so there are a few places that are within an hours鈥?drive but if theres not a lot going on London is only a 2 hour train journey.


I could not live in an isolated place... I need neighbours. Not to be best friends with but in case anything ever happened. I鈥檇 need to know in case of emergency that I could get out of my house and reach someone else or a phone. So vast sprawling sparsely populated places are a definite no. Having said that I would rather not be within a housing estate/suburb. Somewhere with bars, theatres, cinemas, markets within driving distance or walking distance would be ace but not right in amongst it. Am I being too picky? Hah! Maybe somewhere laid back, not to hustle and bustle but still on the outskirts of town.


Other than that I鈥檓 not too bothered about schools, politics, crime rates etc. Obviously I don鈥檛 want to live in a totalitarian state or one in which I鈥檓 likely to be mugged whenever I leave the house. I鈥檇 like to know there were good hospitals, medical centres, police nearby. I don鈥檛 really care about losing English traditions, I鈥檓 not even a big fan of Tea so I don鈥檛 need to be anywhere which is predominantly ex-pats.|||Is Prince Edward Island there?

No comments:

Post a Comment