Sunday, January 8, 2012

Head Turning House Color?

I live in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and would like to paint the exterior of my house for selling purposes. (residing is a little out of our budget so we're opting for an updated color) Right now by house is like a light gray/blue color with white trim ans shutters. I would like a drastic change from the color it is now. Something that will turn heads when we put our house on the market. (not selling for 3-4 years, however) The neighbors houses are light yellow with brown trim (directly across the street), light green with white trim (to the right of us), tan with white trim (to the left of us), and a medium blue with white trim (across the street ). Does anyone have any suggestions on a house color and trim/shutter color for my house that will kind of compliment the neighbors houses as well?|||Hi! Sioux Falls native myself and I completely know what you mean about boring houses. I'm house hunting right now and can't stand pulling onto the street and not being able to tell the difference between the houses.





1st Suggestion: for the interior. I went to SIoux Falls paint and glass right by 41st and Minnesota and they have an awesome selection of paints and quite a few instructional booklets on how to do some amazing faux finishes for your walls. I recently painted and had a dark, dismal sort of basement that just didn't get much light. They suggested picking out a color (i went with "suede" and then adding a swirl of gold to it. I then applied it to the wall with a sea sponge and the effect is marvelous! plus, it attracts the light in a way that jus brightened up the whole room.





2nd Suggestion: The one "traditional" (not pink or purple) color that you just don't see much at all in Sioux Falls is that fire-engine red. Everyone is so obsessed with "earth tones" these days that a simply painted red house with white shutters would be an eye-catching site on any street. Anything to get away from grey and tan.





Whichever color you pick, look for that tone that's just a touch over the edge. People like me are looking to buy a house with flair.





Good Luck!|||I would go with a brighter, crisper sunshine Yellow and white trim.


To make heads turn I would plant some pre-potted Honeycomb in the yard (it's sunshine yellow, too) Maybe, 4 right out front- leaving an opening of view of your bright home. Honeycomb grows fast and in 3 years you would have full bushes.|||For the exterior, I think I would go with a warm, light terra cotta color, with possibly a darkish sage green for the trim.





As for the interior rooms, would a warm creamy yellow work in some of them? It's still a neutral, but it'll look warmer and more inviting than just beige.|||paint it pink


i'd buy it

No comments:

Post a Comment